You might want to take a look at everything before jumping in! It's not hard - just different.
BIG Thanks to Erin Barringer, TF @ JCHS for the Video!
* Remember there is an Canvas Orientation Course For YOU in Canvas. Just project it and walk your students through the course.
* It would be a FABULOUS idea to make an Assignment AND a Discussion for your Seminar students to gain Canvas practice ; )
How can I reset my student IAM passwords?
Directions for the End of Year Front Line Process...
It is SUPER important that you
- The BIGGEST THING that causes files to NOT Import into Canvas is
- IF you start an export in Schoology and the transmission is interrupted.
- This means you shut your laptop or the laptop lost connection to wifi.
- I know it can take FOREVER - but if you walk away or close your laptop the file can be corrupted and never import ; (
- IF you start an export in Schoology and the transmission is interrupted.
It's not too late to join the online course....
How do you get Credit for Growing With Canvas?
This year we are going digital!
Please take time to do this for your Seminar Students within the next week (or so).
- Here is a link to the shared Google Doc.
- Please do NOT share this link with students. The teacher in each Seminar should complete this for their students.
- It’s super quick!
- All students should be on the list. If they are not you can add their name to the end of the spreadsheet or just let me know ; )
- If you press the COMMAND KEY + F it will launch a Quick Find Window and you can type the child’s name and jump straight to the correct line on the spreadsheet.
- Be careful to ensure you are on the correct line as you make your selections.
- Comments are there just in case...
You might want to visit the previous posts about:
Below you will see directions to get credit for completing the Apple Teacher Certification. It's a quick way to learn more about Apple Products in the classroom AND earn 1.0 DLC credit. Earn your GOLD star and join the club!
BIG NEWS! RSS is "moving" from Schoology to Canvas!
Why a new Learning Management System?
I know lots of us really like Schoology - me included. However, there are some Power Teacher integration issues with Schoology. We (RSS) are one of a very few Districts in NC that are not currently using Canvas, so when we experience syncing issues, neither platform is very willing to help us work out solutions. THIS will give us more assurance with grade syncing accuracy! Canvas also has quite a few advanced features that we haven't had access to with Schoology. Think of it as moving from MS Word to Pages. They both accomplish the same thing but both are a bit different. I REALLY believe that after we make the transition you will appreciate the enhanced options that you will have in Canvas - especially the grading assurance!
Here are the Details...
This image is actually a LINK to a RSS District webpage with all the Canvas details.
"Can I transition all my saved resources from Canvas?"
How do you get started?
Option # 1 - Growing With Canvas
- Maybe you just need a "jump start" to help you get started.
- This is a RSS Online Self Paced Workshop
- You click the "Growing With Canvas" button and the course will be added to your RSS Canvas Account.
- You will work though 6 modules at your own pace.
- Each Module will take about 45 - 60 minutes.
- You will earn a badge for completing each module - 6 badges total.
- After you have completed the course you can register for the RSS Workshop through FrontLine and upload proof of your badges earned. Details will be posted in the Frontline Course.
- Completion of this course will earn you 1.0 Digital Learning Credits (DLC's).
Option # 2 - NCCAT Courses
- NCCAT is offering 3 different levels of FREE Online, Self Paced Canvas Challenge Courses.
- Do you need renewal credits? Each course is worth 10 hours or 1.0 DLC. This means that you should spend no more than 10 hours total on each course. I know that sounds like a lot but you get out of something whatever you put into it! As teachers we all know that ; )
- You can also JUMP right IN at whatever level you want! If you already know the basics maybe you want to dig a little deeper? Jump in at Intermediate or Advanced!
- This is a REAL course with a REAL teacher. There are REAL assignments with REAL accountability!
- IMPORTANT INFO
- This Canvas Course is NOT linked to your RSS Canvas. I learned this the hard way ; ) When you register for this course you will create a DIFFERENT / SEPARATE Canvas log-in that is tied to NCCAT.
- In order to get RSS Digital Literacy Credit you simply complete a Out of District Request for training in FrontLine and upload a copy of your Certificate of Completion that you will get at the end of your Course. Of course I can assist with this if you need help. It's really easy!
Option #3 - Additional Support!
Tech Tips Tuesdays
Canvas Lunch & Learns
Gobble IT Up!
Bring Your Lunch to Room 205 and we will learn something new about Canvas each week!
We will START at 12 Noon
*These will be quick mini-lessons to re-enforce what you are learning in the online classes or introduce a few cool Canvas features. This is intended to be "an extra" helping hand to those who prefer to learn this way. It's not required - just an additional option!
Canvas Open Lab
Migration Extra Assistance!
- Open Lab - Migration Assistance - All Day - Room 205
- May 15 - Planning Period Assist
- May 22 - Planning Period Assist
- You can always make an apt with me for help!
WHEN can I start using Canvas?
- You should see your current classes NOW.
- You CANNOT sync grades YET. It would cause confusion if we attempted to sync 2 different LMS's with Power Teacher. Next year Canvas WILL sync.
- Lockdown Browser? YES! It will work with Canvas NEXT year. Our subscription will only work on 1 LMS at a time. Now it works in Schoology. Next year it will work in Canvas.
What is YOUR Canvas Personal Learning Plan?
The Struggle is REAL
Password management is confusing. I get it. Here are few facts to help you understand your school passwords.
RSS District Passwords
- Our District uses a process called Active Directory to link most of your RSS accounts together. That's why your email, schoology, filtering and google drive all share the same password.
- You are required to change your password periodically to help ensure the safety of your password.
Can I RESET my password myself?
- DO IT NOW. If you are ever locked out you will be SO glad that your did.
- Pick the following 2 questions. These have answers that will not change.
- What city were you born in?
- What was your mother's maiden name?
- The requirements of your password:
- Minimum of 8 characters
- Cannot use part of user name for password
- Cannot be any of your last 5 passwords
- Must have 3 of the following:
- Capitol Letter
- lowercase letter
- Special Character
- Numerical Character
- You will NEVER be sent a request to change your password with a LINK. It will come from WITHIN the District and have specific instructions on how to change your password.
- You will get a reminder EVERY DAY for 10 days until you change it.
- IF you don't change your password within the 10 days your email will be LOCKED until you change your password.
HELP! My password suddenly isn't working...
- If you try unsuccessfully to log in 3-4 times it will lock your account. It will THINK that your account is being hacked.
- or IF your credentials are used on 5 different devices in a day your account will automatically lock. This is to protect you. Students may have gotten access to your credentials and shared it with others. This it to prevent them from continuing to use your information to log-in AND give you an opportunity to change your password.
- It will NOT tell your that your account is locked... you just can't log in.
- The good news is that your account will automatically UNLOCK itself in 30-40 minutes. Try to be patient - and then you get 3-4 more PLANNED attempts. Choose wisely ; )
As always - come see me if you still need help and I can help you think through it. I know it may seem like an inconvenience HOWEVER it IS for your own protection. There really are bad guys out there trying to hack into our accounts. Be smart. Be safe!
South Rowan High School
Annotate - Preview
Back To School
End Of Year
FREE Apple ID Account
Laptop Collection 2017
Power Teacher Pro
SR Student Help Desk